Life with Scent of Orient
Before you read and comment on forum's post, please take a few minutes to register. Please use a real e-mail address in order to be able to activate your account!

If you have any technical problems, please contact the Admin here: or

Thank you!

Life with Scent of Orient

A beautiful community which brings together people from all over the world
HomeHome  PublicationsPublications  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Between friends
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 am by Scheherazade

» Friendship Coffee
Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:29 pm by Scheherazade

» Welcome in our community!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:21 pm by Scheherazade

» Good morning! Have a wonderful day!
Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:56 am by Scheherazade

» Marriage in Bahrain
Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:29 am by Scheherazade

» New rule for visa in Egypt
Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:20 pm by Scheherazade

» Lentil Soup
Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:12 pm by Scheherazade

» Why not introduce yourself?
Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 pm by Adriana

» Baba Ganouk recipe
Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 am by Jasmine

Site Translation
Sphinx time
February 2019
Top posters
Scheherazade (146)
Ottety (32)
Haleemah (28)
Jasmine (19)
Hannah Samir (13)
Enya (12)
Krmelo (7)
Laura Isabelle (5)
Lumi (1)
Angelika Lancsak (1)
Visitors map

Visitors’ Map
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of Life with Scent of Orient on your social bookmarking website
Like/Tweet/+ Facebook


Display results as :
Rechercher Advanced Search
Partners sites

free forum

Forumotion Support

Share | 

 US citizen - Egyptian citizen marriage papers

Go down 

Female Gemini
Posts : 146
Birthday : 1983-06-12
Join date : 2013-04-13
Age : 35
Location : Alexandria, EGYPT

PostSubject: US citizen - Egyptian citizen marriage papers   Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 am

The only legal marriage for foreigners in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court, which is in accordance with Islamic practice Persons wishing a religious ceremony may arrange for one separately, but it is the civil ceremony that establishes the legal marriage.

Americans wishing to marry in Egypt must take the following steps in order to marry:

Step 1: Visit the American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy

Address: 5, Tawfik Diab Street (formerly Latin America Street), Garden City, Cairo.
Web site:


At American Citizen Services, you will sign a marriage affidavit that will be notarized by the U.S. Embassy. This affidavit includes your biographic data and your religion. Interfaith marriages are permitted by Egyptian law except in the case of a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man. The affidavit also mentions that you are free to marry and that the Embassy has no objection to the marriage. Please bring the following:


  • Printout of your appointment confirmation.

  • Your valid American passport.

  • Proof of termination of your last marriage, if you were married before. An original or certified copy of the last divorce decree or death certificate must be submitted. There is no need to get this document authenticated or translated into Arabic for the purpose of marriage. The authentication and translation by the Egyptian embassy or consulate in the U.S. may be required later for other purposes. Please note that if you are a female American citizen previously married, you may only remarry in Egypt at least 90 days after your divorce or 130 days after the death of your former spouse. If you are pregnant, you can only remarry after the birth of the baby.

  • It is preferable that you bring your fiancé(e).

  • The fee is $50.00 or 300.00 LE (cash or credit).

  • If you are a female of Egyptian origin under the age of 21, you are required to either be accompanied by your father, a guardian, a person in loco parentis, or a written consent from any of the above. The consent should be in English and Arabic. It should be notarized by the Egyptian Embassy or an Egyptian consulate in the U.S. and by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Egypt.

NOTE:If two American citizens are getting married, they each need separate statements.

Step 2: After obtaining the notarized statement from the U.S. Embassy, you must visit one of the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Authentication Offices.

Addresses: Ahmed Oraby St, Mohandessin, Giza; Ahmed Said Street, Abbassia; or Sabak Street next to the Maryland Gardens in Heliopolis.

Hours:  Saturday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will certify the statement for a fee of 11.00LE.

Step 3: After obtaining the certification from the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you must visit the Egyptian Ministry of Justice.

Address: Egyptian Ministry of Justice Annex (Office of Marriage of Foreigners), 4th floor, Lazoughly Square, Abdin, Cairo. Open Saturday through Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

The Ministry of Justice will register your marriage. Forms to be completed at the marriage court can only be obtained on the wedding day or the day before. The following are required:

  • Proof of identity (a passport) for both parties, two photocopies of the passport data page, the Egyptian entry visa and the residency stamp (US citizens who bought visas at the airport should approach the Egyptian Immigration Authority in Mogamaa, first floor window no. one and get a residency stamp on their passports for no cost before go through marriage procedures).

  • Egyptian I.D. (Egyptian passport or the National ID) and two photocopies of it if one of the parties is Egyptian

  • Five personal photos for each party.

  • A 50.00LE “Ta’meen Igtimaei” or “Tabe Zawag”stamp (purchased at any Egyptian post office)

  • Two male witnesses with identification documents (passport or I.D. card) must be present to sign the marriage documents.

 You are required to bring your own witnesses, such as friends or travel agents.

  • Original proof of termination of previous marriage if you were married before ( may be requested by official). No authentication or translation is required.

  • A pre-marriage medical examination at a government hospital is required for both parties.  Certificates are issue to the parties for submission to the marriage office.

It will take at least ten business days for a marriage certificate to be issued by the Ministry of Justice. The marriage certificate must be picked up by one of the parties.

Fees to complete the marriage at the Ministry of Justice:

If both parties are Muslim, the fee is point two percent (%0.02) of the dowry if applicable or a fee of. 35.00. LE

If both parties are Christians, a dowry is not required, the fee is 35.00LE.

To use the marriage certificate in the U.S., it should be translated into English at the Notary Public Authority-located on 57 Ramses Street, Cairo.  The fee is 15.00LE for each page. It takes 1-2 days to receive the translation, which must then be authenticated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (11.00 LE) and authenticated by the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo ($50.00).

Please note: If you do obtain an English marriage certificate from the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation office, you DO NOT need to have it authenticated at the American Embassy to use for immigration in the United States.

If you have any questions, please send an email to the US Embassy at or call us at (202) 2797-2301.

Americans wishing to apply for immigration visas for their spouses must take the following steps:

If you reside in the United States, please start the petition process by filing a Form I-130, “Petition for Alien Relative.”  The I-130 is available on the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) website at under “Immigration Forms.” Please note: USCIS processes the Form I-130 as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a spouse immigrate to the United States. The fee is $420 and you may file online or send in the paper application to the appropriate U.S. address (listed on the website).

If you are a resident of Egypt, since August 16, 2011 the Immigration office at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo stopped receiving Form I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative. Form I-130 should be submitted from the U.S.A.

For further information you need to e-mail the Immigration office at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on consular, or you can call 202-2797-2200 from 01:00 PM to 03:00PM.


La Ila illa Allah Muhammad Rassoulu Allah
Back to top Go down
US citizen - Egyptian citizen marriage papers
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
» 3 Egyptian Gods deck recipe help?
» What the papers say - Book Ban - 18/2/10

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life with Scent of Orient :: Introduction. Administration. Judicial :: Judicial information-
Jump to: